Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Playing with Hooks

Over the years (there have more than a few now) I have collected necklaces and interesting jewelry. I find it difficult, however, to wear all of it unless it is on display. Similar to my preference to hang all of my clothes on hangers rather than fold them away in drawers.

I like to be able to look upon my walls and know they are not only decorated with kick-ass art, but functional art as well.

Previously, I'd read in a magazine about using a tie-rack to hang necklaces, which I ordered and used, but it wasn't enough. I had more necklaces than pegs. And while the tie-rack was functional, it was not very artsy.

Therefore, this past weekend, I decided to make my own.

I picked up some yellow and turquoise paint from Hobby Lobby. Along with that spalsh of color, I bought a two-pack of wood from the wood-crafting section and two packages of brass hooks (20 hooks total). For embellishments, I chose some rub-on transfers. Then I sat down and got to work.


First I painted.


I also painted the hooks in opposite colors:
turqoise for the yellow shelf and vice versa.


Then I twisted the hooks into the wood.


And then placed the rub-on embellishments.






Finally, I added a little bling bling and then
sprayed them with a clear gloss acrylic finish.





And VIOLA! Functional, beautiful art!
Almost makes my tie-rack look ridiculous...
perhaps that will be a project for another day.

1 comment: