Sunday, April 11, 2010

Photography Assignment #7: Back-Lighting

"Back-Lighting"

According to Photography.com,
Backlighting refers to lighting in a photograph that comes from behind an object. Because backlighting requires a subtle manipulation of a scene’s light, photographers consider it a more advanced technique to master. When effectively implemented in a scene, however, backlighting can enhance the finer details of an object (such as the tiny hairs on bug) or a scenes more delicate features (such as the dust particles or drops of mist in a given background).
As I am rather limited in my lighting sources here at the bottom of the world, I thought my maglite keychain flashlight might nicely illuminate these wee figurines, alas, the results were not exactly what I'd hoped, but here is Happy Buddha and the Panda:



And quite by accident, this back-lit photo was taken (by Lisa Jenkins) on my recent sunset trip out to Castle Rock, Ross Island, Antarctica.

No comments:

Post a Comment