
In my picture, I tried to incorporate a lot of elements that I read about from Wikipedia's information on Still Life.
First, freshies and fruit down here are very rare, which has given me a deep appreciation of fruits and vegetables. Those are actually real fruits from one of the last flights in for the season. So here I am traditionally incorporating representations of wealth and abundance, which was represented by fresh fruit, food and wine.
Second, I wanted to incorporate a religious aspect. That is where the Happy Buddha comes in. I thought it would be quite metaphoric and symbolic to have the Buddha sitting in the spoon about to be eaten...what exactly I'm trying to convey with that symbol, I couldn't tell you. Religion is a mouthful? Consumable?
Third, the incorporation of elements of nature: bugs. It's strange when I mentioned my need of a plastic bug at breakfast and someone just happens to have a bag full of plastic bugs for loan. The bugs are also representative the very large lack of life here in Antarctica and quite humorous in my opinion.
Fourth and finally: representations of my own style and environment. In the galley, there is a glass wall/partition that separates the 'balcony' area from the 'pit' area, but I choose it because of its ice-like look, obviously to represent The Ice. The bottle of ginger beer is representative of New Zealand and the Kiwis that help us out down here. And finally, the three spoons are representative of my love of spoons.
So there you have it...on to the next assignment.

The fruit was so beautiful, I took another photo of it

No comments:
Post a Comment