Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Antarctic Poem #8: Never Never Land, AQ

Never Never Land, AQ

Today I hate McMurdo.

I hate it for its indifference
and the monotony of routine.
I hate the egos and insecurities,
the arrogance and narcissism.
The rules upon rules upon rules.

I hate the social pillaging
and political piracy.

I am forced to walk the plank.

But tomorrow, I will love McMurdo.
For all the same reasons…

I’ll love it for its freedom from responsibility
and for the security of routine.
I’ll love the innovation, independence
and sheer will of humanity to survive.
The ease of conformity and simplicity in lack of choice.

I’ll love the social theatrics
and political prowess.

I’ll learn to wield a sword and fly.

In this way we are in purgatory. A lingering
between the extremes of heaven and hell.
A place undecided and transitory.

A land of too many Peter Pans fighting
with Lost Boys and a slew of catty Tinker Bells
that have used up all their pixy dust.

Where the hell is Wendy?

Alas, we are united in our battle against
the gleaming and sharp silver hook of Uncle Sam
while the hungry, neon blue crocodile ticks
louder and louder in icy waters.

The twinkling lights of Never Never Land fade,
and it is clear that we’ve lost a few marbles
as we struggle to regain our imaginations.

Yet somehow, salvation is but a
clap of the hands away and
all of this will be nothing more
than it ever was: a grand and glorious adventure.

As the ships of Winfly and Mainbody
hasten toward the horizon, let us
find in ourselves the belief we had in each other
and greet the winds of change once again
as allies and as friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment