
Whilst working away in the library, I discovered this lovely Maori God sculpture...similar to a totem pole. I placed it next to an equally lovely tropical fake tree in the library, to give it more of a New Zealand feel. The tongue is symbolic in Maori Culture - it is part of a Maori War Dance, and was illustrated in the move "Whale Rider."
Here is the trailer (watch for the tongue) and a quote from the movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A15J6PDPTJA&feature=PlayList&p=846DF91F8D224CB9&index=4
"When you extend your tongue, you're saying to your enemies, 'I'm gonna eat you. Your eyes will roll back. Your head will be stuck on the end of my stick.' Feel the ihi...the power. Make them feel the wehi...the fear. I want the hairs on the backs of their necks to stand up. Take off your shirts. When you slap your chests...I want you to slap them hard. Bleh! Bleh! Scratch them. Make them bleed. Timata. Bleh! Bleh!'" - Koro, Whale Rider

No comments:
Post a Comment